Job Number 20000267
Job Category Public Relations & Communications
Location Asia/Pacif/Australia Region| Suite 1108 11th Floor Cityplaza
One| Hong Kong S.A.R.| Hong Kong| Hong Kong S.A.R.
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company| with more brands|
more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We
believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So| we ask|
where will your journey take you?
The Vice President| Communications – Asia Pacific is responsible for
developing and executing strategic media relations and communication plans for
the Marriott International portfolio of brands in the Asia Pacific continent
and related communication plans for the Asia Pacific Executive Leadership
As Marriott International continues aggressive growth| the VP of
Communications is a key position focused on achieving positive awareness for
the company in the Asia Pacific continent; promoting brand distinction|
portfolio power and growth; reaching new / younger customer segments; and
building Marriott’s corporate reputation. This position will play an important
role in fully integrating media relations into the continent sales and
marketing strategy| Social Impact strategy as well as operations and regional
development goals and also activating individual brand strategies and
initiatives in the continent.
The VP| Communications Asia Pacific will oversee management of internal and
external media relations resources| be responsible for interfacing with and
developing relationships with key media in the continent and have direct line
management/responsibility for the continent Communications team. This position
is a key liaison with the Global Communications & Public Affairs department
and partners closely with the Corporate Communications| Media Relations| and
Social Impact teams. This position will also collaborate| be closely aligned|
and provide ongoing strategic continent communications support to the Global
Brand| Buzz Marketing and Consumer Public Relations Corporate office
departments in the Asia Pacific Continent| this position will partner with the
Continent Brand| Sales| Digital| Loyalty| Partnership and Portfolio Marketing
leads| as well as collaborate with Operations and HR departments to support
key Continent initiatives.
• The position will need to direct media relations in support of all Consumer
Operations functions| luxury and lifestyle and premium and select brands
within the Asia Pacific continent
• Number of direct reports: 5
• Control or influence budget (Y or N): Yes — control
• As the footprint of hotels expands| it is essential to build broad awareness
for the full Marriott portfolio| corporate reputation and culture to help
develop brand loyalty and to attract talent.
• The position will serve as a key internal communications liaison with the
company’s Internal Communications function at Corporate to ensure pull through
of enterprise-wide communications initiatives and messaging in key
communications channels| speeches and other venues.
• The position will support Global and Continent Brand and Marketing
initiatives and Loyalty/promotions to drive awareness and revenue.
• The position will be based in Hong Kong.
Education and Experience Required
• B.A.| or equivalent in Public Relations / Communications / Marketing
• 7 to 10 years of senior level media or public relations| marketing
communications and corporate communications experience| preferably within the
travel / hospitality sector
• Strong knowledge of hospitality industry
• Demonstrated ability to manage the interests and demands of multiple
• Regional working experience with some language skills preferred
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Balanced Scorecard Results: Develops strategies and executes initiatives to
drive customer awareness| financial results| guest satisfaction and market
• Drive revenue and improve profitability through communications initiatives
that drive increased awareness and generate bookings.
• Lead APAC media relations efforts for the region to drive awareness|
preference and long-term customer loyalty.
• Drive associate satisfaction by providing public relations resources and
• Develop effective partnerships with properties to provide public relations
resources that help to create value for both owners and Marriott
• Create programs that generate publicity and enhance the guest experience.
• Utilize a thorough understanding of the lodging business (hotel operation|
industry drivers| challenges| competitors| MI’s position in the global
marketplace) and cutting edge public and media relations trends to unveil
opportunities for growth and increased market share.
• Leverage public relations to attract owners / developers and help achieve
Public Relations Planning
• Collaborate with Continent Leadership VPs| and the Chief Sales and Marketing
Officer to set direction for public relations programs including the
development and implementation of annual comprehensive public relations and
media relations plan and calendar to support the business objectives of the
• The position will lead the APAC continent’s PR| media relations| and
Communications strategy and play a key role as a public relations liaison
between the company’s Global Brand| and Consumer PR teams and the Continent’s
Brand| Marketing and Public Relations teams to align global strategies and
pull through brand and portfolio initiatives into the continent.
• Align and fully leverage appropriate programs and initiatives — including
corporate news| brand campaigns and community relations programs.
• Direct public relations in support of all luxury and lifestyle and premium
and select brands within the continent
• Support and direct CSR Manager to develop a robust Social Impact program.
Support the program with a comprehensive PR strategy and plan. Liaison with
Corporate Social Impact team and align objectives with Serve 360 goals.
• Ability to identity trends and uncover publicity worthy stories from a
portfolio of hotels.
• Manage and provide direction to public relations agencies to result in
• Provide feedback to brand/corporate PR in regard to key initiatives and
objectives for the APAC continent.
• Cultivate relationships with targeted media outlets to generate positive
media coverage| elevate brand awareness and preference to achieve coverage in
high-end lifestyle| consumer travel| business news| travel| hotel trade| and
• Partner and align with the Corporate Media Relations team to establish pull-
through via APAC messaging and ensure alignment to overall Corporate
• Work with targeted media to generate hotel visits including coordination of
• Uses creative selling abilities to obtain maximum media exposure.
• Secure media interviews for senior executives to increase
visibility/leadership position in the region and support with Executive
• Monitor and measure results| including media impressions and value via
monthly status reports and competitive monitoring updates.
Cluster/Hotel PR Support
• Guide and mentor on property or above property PR professionals.
• Conduct public relations training and provide resource materials| tools and
templates with a focus on compliance brand PR guidelines/initiatives and
creative PR strategies.
• Develops and manages relationships with hotel PR directors/managers|
providing them with opportunities for media exposure.
• Assists clusters| opening and key priority hotels in the development of PR
• Consults with new hotels on pre-opening public relations including grand
opening event management.
• Team with field marketing and sales to maximize messaging pull-through|
including participation in trade shows.
• Share news from Continent with internal communications teams at corporate.
• The position will serve as a key APAC internal communications liaison with
the company’s Corporate Internal Communications function to ensure pull
through of enterprise-wide communications initiatives and messaging in key
communications channels| speeches and other venues.
• Develop social media PR initiatives to drive outreach to online communities
• Create awareness building opportunities utilizing search engine optimization
to drive traffic to Marriott.com channels throughout the APAC continent.
• Work with development to announce new hotels in the continent including
writing of press releases and pitching to media.
• Leverage hotel openings to create awareness for Marriott’s growth| diverse
portfolio of brands and leadership in the continent
Crisis Communications/Issues Management
• Manage crisis issues| including assisting individual properties and serving
as the region’s crisis communications lead. Liaison with Crisis function
within Corporate Media Relations team.
• Manage special event activities including grand openings| press conferences|
media briefings and press trips.
• Support brand “halo” hotel grand openings.
• Draft talking points/speeches for CSMO and Continent Executives
participating in special events.
• Communication – Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and
engaging manner through a variety of methods.
• Leading Through Vision and Values – Keeps the organization|s vision and
values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
• Managing Change – Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes
it on an ongoing basis| taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its
pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure
and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
• Problem Solving and Decision Making – Identifies and understands issues|
problems| and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different
sources to draw conclusions| develops and evaluates alternatives and
solutions| solves problems| and chooses a course of action.
• Professional Demeanor – Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence
and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents
the company in alignment with its values.
• Strategy Development – Develops business plans by exploring and
systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for
producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of
business plans through effective planning| organizing| and on-going evaluation
• Building a Successful Team – Uses an effective interpersonal style to build
a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by
focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
• Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans
designed to maximize customer satisfaction| profitability| and market share
through effective planning| organizing| and on-going evaluation processes.
• Driving for Results – Sets high standards of performance for self and/or
others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates| focuses| and
monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals;
proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
• Customer Relationships – Develops and sustains relationships based on an
understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the
company’s service standards.
• Global Mindset – Supports employees and business partners with diverse
styles| abilities| motivations| and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes
differences to drive innovation| engagement and enhance business results; and
ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full
• Strategic Partnerships – Develops collaborative relationships with fellow
employees and business partners by making them feel valued| appreciated| and
included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside
the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared
services and/or discipline leaders (e.g.| HR| Sales & Marketing| Finance|
Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external
relations with government| business and industry in respective countries;
performs effectively as a liaison between locations| disciplines| and
corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are
understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
• Developing Others – Plans and supports the development of others’ skills and
capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role
responsibilities more effectively; provides high visibility to individuals
with potential; offers challenging assignments that build confidence and
credibility and provides such individuals with a personal vision for their
• Organizational Capability – Evaluates and adapts the structure of
assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals
of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
• Business Acumen – Understands and utilizes business information to manage
everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and
• Technical Acumen – Understands and utilizes professional skills and
knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday
business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-
specific work challenges.
o Demonstrates working knowledge of discipline-specific systems| tools| and
• Continuous Learning – Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly
creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained
knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
• Strategy Knowledge – Understanding and utilizing professional skills and
knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage business
operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific
strategic work challenges.
Basic Competencies – Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing
basic work activities.
• Basic Computer Skills – Uses basic computer hardware and software (e.g.|
personal computers| word processing software| Internet browsers| etc.).
• Mathematical Reasoning – Adds| subtracts| multiplies| or divides quickly|
correctly| and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
• Oral Comprehension – Listens to and understands information and ideas
presented through spoken words and sentences.
• Reading Comprehension – Understands written sentences and paragraphs in work
• Writing – Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs
of the audience.
• Skill and proven experience in creating strategic public relations and media
• Strong knowledge of brand public relations with skills in media relations|
press writing| special events| speech writing
• Ability to foster relationships with media resulting in positive press
coverage – print| electronic| social media
• Leadership skills in multiple team environments
• Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to thrive in fast-paced
• Ability to build confidence| influence| and promote ideas to diverse
constituencies (i.e. Media| Marriott Continent teams| corporate headquarters
staff| hotel management| franchisee/owners representatives| public relations
• Ability to make compelling presentations
• Excellent written| verbal| and listening skills
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent skills in event planning and implementation
• High energy and enthusiasm
• Ability to successfully handle many diverse projects and constituencies
• Crisis communications experience
• Ability to travel internationally